Friday 7 March 2014

Oscar Pistorius: Media Review, Week 1: ANN7

I  must say, I have been rather underwhelmed by the coverage provided by this channel. Up until now this channel has seemed like the go-to channel if you want in depth reportage and quality on location reports. But not this time. What do we get: Prime Time anchor Chantal Rutter Dros and one analyst on location. (Interestingly, Chantal is being billed as a 'reporter' and not a senior or chief anchor as she is).

I recognise the fact that Chantal is the best person on their team, but a prime time anchor belomgs somewhere else, in prime time, where they belong. With her providing coverage in the daytime when most people either do not have access to television or are watching one of the other channels, she is wasting away in the day time and not presenting her prime time show that is likely to receive a higher viewership and attract more channel surfers who are bored and are looking for something to watch.
I have nothing against the super talented fill-in anchor, Peter Stemmet (who I respect for being on tv from 7pm, sometimes earlier, to well after ten broadcasting the sports show he belongs on) but if the sports anchor is doing the news, it just seems like amateur hour to me

I have slowly started falling in love with the informativeness of their graphics, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment