Friday 19 June 2015

Lester Holt Named Permanent Anchor Of NBC Nightly News

lester holt
Lester Holt has finally be announced as the permanent replacement for Brian Williams on NBC Nightly News, which airs daily live at 12:30am Tuesday through Saturday on CNBC Africa (DStv 412).

This comes months after Lester had been filling in for Williams due to Williams being suspended, pending a now completed investigation, following making questionable statements that has caused a media storm (Google is your friend if you want to know more).

“Lester has done outstanding work for NBC News over the last ten years, and he’s performed remarkably well over the last few months under very tough circumstances,” said Andy Lack, chairman of NBC News and MSNBC. “He’s an exceptional anchor who goes straight to the heart of every story and is always able to find its most direct connection to the everyday lives of our audience. In many ways, television news stands at a crossroads, and Lester is the perfect person to meet the moment.”

Lack is, of course, the recently appointed chairman of NBC News and MSNBC tasked with repairing a damaged brand and a struggling news division.

Holt becomes the first black anchor of a major American news bulletin ever.

In a statement, Williams says, “I’m sorry. I said things that weren’t true. I let down my NBC colleagues and our viewers, and I’m determined to earn back their trust. I will greatly miss working with the team on Nightly News, but I know the broadcast will be in excellent hands with Lester Holt as anchor. I will support him 100% as he has always supported me. I am grateful for the chance to return to covering the news. My new role will allow me to focus on important issues and events in our country and around the world, and I look forward to it.”

It is speculated that Williams will end up anchoring a show on the struggling MSNBC liberal news channel, which is available on Starsat here in South Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment